Why did Dion's wife help Harper? - thestar.com: "It's unfortunate the Liberals don't have a leader like Lester Pearson, Pierre Trudeau or Jean Chretien. No doubt there are many intelligent, well educated, successful Liberals out there. One of them has to step up to the plate in order to combat the dangerous ideology of the Harper Conservatives. If Stephen Harper ever won a majority, it would make the rule of Mike Harris look like a Sunday school picnic."
This published letter to the editor in the TorStar is a perfect example of the thinking that will prevent the Liberals from returning to Government. They currently have a world class academic, who has resided at Harvard and on the BBC. I'm not sure what the commenter means when they say they need an "intelligent, well educated, successful Liberal" if Ignatieff doesn't fit that role.
Dion, the fallen former Leader of the Liberal Party and presumptive Prime Minister in Waiting was a leading academic in Quebec, trained at La Sorbonne before guiding Quebec through the Unity crisis, his role was the "No" side and he won. If this is not the definition the reader seeks I can't define it.
What is missing from the commentary, and from the pages of Liberal friendly newspapers is criticism that the party is lacking cohesion and general direction. What is the Liberal position on anything? Furthermore, if they state a position does it mean that they will compromise it?
The Liberals need to accept that they will lose the next election badly. This will allow their 'thinkers' to put together a policy that adheres to the liberal root of the name. Ignatieff is a global leader on human rights thinking, why has the Liberal Party not formed a cohesive policy that shames the current Conservative response? Dion is a master of unity, why not use his expertise to explain why no one in Alberta would ever consider voting Liberal?
The political IQR in Canada is currently being failed by the lack of ideology in the Liberal party, not the lack of leadership. They have to believe in something before people will believe in them.
I keep a weblog like it's still the 90s. For commentary and dissent please visit jontaylor.ca, or various other purveyors of thought online.
- Little Green Footballs - Why I Parted Ways With Th...
- Hipster girls of Austin - m4w
- Yoani Sanchez, Cuba's popular blogger, has been be...
- Otter Choas
- Concrete Canvas
- Climategate: The Skeptical Scientist’s View
- Hollywood vs. New York
- More Money, More Fishing
- We need to return to skepticism being a positive i...
- The Sound Of All Hell Breaking Loose: "Beware The ...
- Richard Feynman: the pleasure of finding things ou...
- enumeration sensation
- From Climategate to Copenhagen
- 11 Ways Geeks Measure the World
- "It's like twitter. Except we charge people to use...
- The Militarization of Sex
- Why 'climategate' won't stop greens
- Slashdot Comments | Climatic Research Unit Hacked,...
- What If Earth Had Rings? | Universe Today
- Why did Dion's wife help Harper? - thestar.com
- Djokovic edges past Davydenko
- Wanted: green engineers | The Economist
- Global WarmingGate: What Does It Mean?
- The lessons of "Climategate"
- Science: Introducing the transparent ocean
- The Death Blow to Climate Science
- 10 Foods That (Thankfully) Flopped
- Mussolini's 'brain and blood for sale on internet'...
- Freakin' Fundamentalists: Stonings here, lashings ...
- 5 Things to Be Thankful For This Year
- Cellphone clown study
- Bobby McFerrin Makes a Keyboard…Out of People
- Gibson CEO Takes Leave Of Absence From Rainforest ...
- Revenge of the Climate Laymen
- India as #1
- Municipal Wi-Fi: Metro-net
- Return To Moral High Ground Postponed Indefinately...
- Nick Tosches on Opium Dens
- China's currency: A yuan-sided argument
- Solar plant to store energy in molten salt
- Findings - A Case in Antiquities for ‘Finders Keep...
- I Love xkcd
- The Michelin guide and its undercover inspectors
- Inventing a Better Patent System
- Pinker on "What the Dog Saw."
- Roundtable Discussion: The Role Of The Record Labe...
- Two standards of policing failed the residents of ...
- With Geoengineering Outlawed, Will Only Outlaws Ha...
- Take me back to Constantinople, by Edward Luttwak
- French and Irish fall out over ‘box’ incident
- Satan, the great motivator
- Drexel Shaft Demolished, In Beautiful Slo-Mo
- Invisible Man
- Questions that are rarely asked: the Wikipedia par...
- Obama’s swelling ego
- Cadillac Hearse - 4X4 Lifted
- Interview with Umberto Eco: 'We Like Lists Because...
- Canadians cry foul as Buy American policy hits hom...
- Amazing Pictures, Pollution in China
- Book Review - 'What the Dog Saw - And Other Advent...
- Charles Krauthammer on the media coverage of the F...
- 5 Times MC Hammer Changed History
- 5 Self-Destructive Ways People Accidentally Cured ...
- 7 Things "Good Parents" Do (That Screw Kids Up for...
- Spies and Racism at Ikea?: Former Executive Writes...
- 2000s (decade)
- 5 (Happy Little) Things You Didn’t Know About Bob ...
- Still a 'whistle-blower' to oil sands activists
- 9/11 suspects to be tried in New York
- NASA Ames Scientist Develops Cell Phone Chemical S...
- Father Raymond J. de Souza: The Fort Hood double s...
- It's hockey first, immigrants told
- Unambiguously Ambidextrous
- Scientists say curry compound kills cancer cells
- Extinction Countdown: Tuna fishing kills an albatr...
- Planet Slum
- An Ethical Question: Does a Nazi Deserve a Place ...
- Draw the sketch of your accident online
- Stasi Files Revisited: The Banalities and Betrayal...
- The Afro-Latinosaurus Rex - Strange Maps
- Grizzly Bear - Ready, Able [Official Music Video]
- Germany's Healing Scar: A Photographer's Hike Alon...
- Helping the Terrorists
- The 100 Best Films of the Decade
- CRITERION’S LITTLE FUCK-UPS
- BC Arts Hang from a Political Noose
- Kraft's bid for Cadbury: Unsweetened
- Berlin memories
- Russian Math, the Poincare Conjecture and Perelman...
- Real vs Placebo Coffee
- Crucifix out, warming in
- Kadykchan. The City of Broken Dreams
- Officials Begin Putting Shooting Pieces Together
- Women, Children and Goldman Sachs Bankers First
- The Lost Art of the Mixtape
- What's the best way to take a study break?
- xkcd: the exclusive interview
- The Scientist : Promises, Promises
- Secret copyright treaty leaks. It's bad. Very bad....
- Where The Dirty Hipsters are
- ▼ November (112)