Marginal Revolution: Not From The Onion: "The 9,000-student K-8 district this week pulled all copies of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary after an Oak Meadows Elementary School parent complained about a child stumbling across definitions for 'oral sex.'
The decision was made without consultation with the district's school board and has raised concerns among First Amendment experts and some parents.
Other parents and Menifee residents, though, have praised the district's decision, saying a collegiate-level dictionary is inappropriate for younger children.
Words fail me and now apparently also the students in Menifee."
I keep a weblog like it's still the 90s. For commentary and dissent please visit jontaylor.ca, or various other purveyors of thought online.
- Osama bin Laden enters global warming debate
- California: Not Dysfunctional Enough!
- J. D. Salinger, Enigmatic Author of ‘The Catcher i...
- The “FDIC lotto” reason banks aren’t lending
- Public's Priorities for 2010: Economy, Jobs, Terro...
- Paying Zero for Public Services
- Does the United States own any pandas or are they ...
- Fooling Yourself
- Not From The Onion
- The economics of child soldiering
- There's no reason for Rod Stewart's Soulbook to be...
- The psychology of power: Absolutely
- Popeye Admits To Spinach Use
- Biblical citations found on Forces’ gunsights
- Covering Haiti: When the Media Is the Disaster
- Improving Access to Research -- Courant et al. 327...
- A Canadian misunderstanding: Just history
- Who will lead Haiti's security?
- Billy Corgan, Jessica Simpson split
- France alarmed over anthrax-tainted heroin in Euro...
- Color Me A Dinosaur
- FloDesign high efficiency Wind Turbine based on Je...
- Beyond boundaries
- Moscow’s stray dogs
- Auto-appendectomy in the Antarctic: case report --...
- The Joe Kennedy Irony
- The Ghosts of Port-au-Prince
- Under the Jungle
- Zakaria: Don't Overreact to Terrorism
- Bloggers Left and Right Agree to Hate Health Care ...
- R.O.I. on Cancer Spending: Better Than We Think?
- The Science of Success | David Dobbs
- Dementia surge to cost $153B by 2038: report
- The Greatest Story Rarely Told - Check out the com...
- ▼ January (34)
- ► 2009 (565)