Is Obama a Brute or a Pushover?: "The first is that he’s a dangerous leftist who threatens American freedoms. This story is told not only by the angry voices on talk radio, but by senior Republican leaders like Newt Gingrich. “The modern left is essentially proto-totalitarian,” Gingrich told the editors of National Review on Oct. 7. And President Obama “is a person of the left. The minute you accept that, you understand almost everything.”
The second story is the one we heard after the award of the Nobel Peace Prize. In this version, the president is a man without accomplishments—all talk, no action.
Obviously, these stories cannot both be true. Republicans will have to choose. Which fits the facts better?"
I don't know if Mr. Frum considered that neither is also a choice.
I keep a weblog like it's still the 90s. For commentary and dissent please visit jontaylor.ca, or various other purveyors of thought online.
- Researchers ask how best to engineer the planet
- Why are we going Tory?
- colinmarshall: Los Angeles, America, the ...
- Raiding the Icebox
- Banner ads on flies
- Soros Launches Effort to Battle Free-Market Zeal
- Match Point: How to Reach Rural Markets
- Stockholm's bunnies burned to keep Swedes warm - T...
- KFC 'colonel' dupes UN security
- Quotes Uncovered: Death and Statistics
- The Death of the Teapot Effect
- What I've learned from debating religious people a...
- Norman Rockwell: The Original King of the Photosho...
- PRUDEN: Something really scary for Obama's Democra...
- Canadians lack a political alternative
- Could a Land Tax Support the Operations of Governm...
- Terry Teachout on the Mystery of Music
- How to flip a coin
- The Many Faces of George Washington
- Zakaria on a Third Surge in Afghanistan
- Larry Magid’s 1984 LA Times review of 128K Mac
- Moscow Mayor Promises a Winter Without Snow - TIME...
- Police probes, Mafia allegations in the 'Palermo' ...
- Understanding E = mc2
- California's water wars: Of farms, folks and fish
- Democracy in Africa: A good example
- "Russians Looked Only for the Agenda"
- Save the planet: eat a dog?
- Three Tweets for the Web
- An Epidemic of Fear: How Panicked Parents Skipping...
- Rights Watchdog, Lost in the Mideast
- Are Solar Panels Really Black? And What Does That ...
- Robert Full: How engineers learn from evolution
- If the Grass Looks Greener, It’s Important to Unde...
- Green jobs
- The Wal-Mart Effect
- China: The Recession's Real Winner
- How Will Great Recession Shape Youth?
- Klaus Is Right
- John Demjanjuk: The Last Nazi
- A world redrawn: When America showed up on a map, ...
- small dead animals: Lowering The Bar
- Vancouver teachers' bid to link Olympics to Holoca...
- Humor Under Communism: East German Jokes Collected...
- Resist 2010 Launch "Brainwash the Youth of Vancouv...
- The 4WD with seats made of whale penis
- I leave it in your capable hands
- Emotions and investing: Gutted instinct
- Energy and climate change: Questioning the invisib...
- Curbing Climate Change While Capturing Lost Methan...
- Robert Stacy McCain and the Fall of the Conservati...
- Driving Off Another Mortgage Cliff
- Have we learned anything?
- The French Get Lost in the Clouds Over a New Term ...
- Is Obama a Brute or a Pushover?
- A Theory of Socialism and Capitalism
- It Ain't Gonna Work Anyway
- Optimus Prime Costume
- Recruited by MI5: the name's Mussolini. Benito Mus...
- Dow Jones Tops 10,000 in 1999
- 100 years of Big Content fearing technology—in its...
- Vivian Maier - Her Discovered Work
- Like Humans, Monkeys Fall Into The 'Uncanny Valley...
- The Unknown War
- Football, dog fighting, and brain damage
- The Collider, the Particle and a Theory About Fate...
- The Lost Prestige of Nuclear Physics
- They need a hero
- 11 Offbeat College Essay Topics
- Tire Trade Tirade
- A well-deserved Nobel Prize
- Why Roman Polanski belongs in prison
- Audio Analysis of the Beatles Multitrack Masters
- Olympic fakes? Why are we so surprised ...
- Scientists baffled by whale attacks on porpoises
- Zakaria: More Troops Won't Solve Afghanistan
- Can a Nobel Peace Prize make peace harder to achie...
- “Every Sizzler restaurant in America?!”
- Visual analgesia: Seeing the body reduces pain
- So Your Cat Wants A Massage?
- One gay man, two lesbians, a three-legged cat and ...
- Brazil and the Olympics: Rio's expensive new rings...
- Chicago's Olympic bid: The limits of razzle-dazzle...
- Canada’s unlikeliest rock star
- One colossal waste
- Marginal Revolution: The Nobel Puzzle
- Another Problem Money Won't Solve
- Greg Mankiw's Blog: A 70-percent Marginal Tax Rate...
- Infrastructure for the Future We Want
- The criticism that Ralph Lauren doesn't want you t...
- Pre-War Bonds May Cripple Leipzig Budget
- What Happened to Argentina?
- Chart of the Day
- What is the Vatican, exactly?
- These Foolish Things
- Canada’s biggest problem? America
- Europe's Lactose Intolerance
- ▼ October (116)